Welcome to Jowen's page

The life, the thoughts, the feelings, the experiences, the challenges, the views, the emotions, and the ways of a young adult named Jowen...

Sunday, February 13, 2005

One Week

4 words – Gong Xi Fa Cai
3 words – Gong Hey Nei
2 words – Fatt Choy
1 word - $


The words above are used to describe my disappearance for a week from the cyber world. Mainly I was at home, and in my grandparent’s house back in
Ipoh, and the past one week had been so enjoyable and fun. Other then it being a holiday for me, it is also a time to usher in the Lunar New Year, which falls on Wednesday, the 9th of February.

Day 1 – 7/2
Went back to Ipoh, and started cleaning up the house and the porch in preparation for the New Year. Was happy being able to see my grandmother, and I went around town hunting for New Year’s décor. At night, had dinner and a good time chatting.

Day 2 - 8/2
It’s the Eve of Chinese New Year. Most of my aunts and uncle came back, and had a great time fellowshipping and “feilou-shipping” among us. Was fun and nice, with some cousins that I have not seen for a year, and all the babies that have grown so big, I began to wonder, 21 years old is indeed “senior” for me, Hahaha. I had a scrumptious reunion dinner with my grandmother, uncles, aunties, cousins and family, we had to sit around a table tennis’s table, and began our gluttony attempt. The food were spread out lavishly, and all of us had ur stomach filled to the max, with some having too much to eat, Hehehe….it was a fun time talking and yakking away with my cousins over dinner, and began to learned a great deal about them.

Day 3 – 9/2
“Duk Duk Chiang…Xin Nian Kuai Le, Gong Hey Fatt Choi…”

Woke up around 9AM, with the intention of getting the first ang pow given out, I changed to my new clothes, and began wishing everybody “Gong Xi Fa Cai”, from the oldest to the youngest. I had a super fun time being in the presence of my extended family, and it gave me a new insight into CNY this year. I’ve grown 21 recently, and the mood of CNY is not that “Geng” compare to previous years. I still remembered when I was in my early teens, CNY was superb, my ang pow money could easily touched RM5XX.00. hmm, talking bout economic boom here. After the 1997 economic recession, CNY also suffered a drastic drop in terms of ang pow money. Hmmm, those were the days……

At around noon, my granduncles and aunts came visiting, and I had a great time with my grand cousins too, hahahaha…talking about generations here, my family is the 3rd inline after my grandparents. So, during CNY, around 50-60 people will gather together for that reunion. Pretty cool isn’t it?

Day 4 – 10/2
Pretty much the same as the day before, except that firstly there were no ang pow’s to be collected. Secondly, 2 of my cousins arrived, and thirdly, I went golfing with my dad and bro. it’s at Clearwater Sanctuary Golf Resort, and we played 9 holes, all par 3. I had a great time hitting the balls, and picking up balls as well. The weather was cool, the ride was great, and I had great fun in the golf course. We stayed for 2.5 hours, and then headed back for dinner. At night, there were gambling sessions, and I being one of the “lan dou guai”(translated from Cantonese means addictive gambling ghost :P), I started playing with my cousins and aunts and uncles till there’s no more tomorrow ( Only once a year I got to enjoy this)

Day 5 – 11/2
More cousins came back to my “po po” house, and that means more ang pow. Hahaha….most of my cousins are married, and I enjoyed their company. For we were brought up together from young in my “po po’s” house. Hehe…..those were the good old young days again….*immersed in that nostalgic feeling*

And since this is the last day I am going to be in my “po po’s house”, we marathon the whole night, from 10Pm, till 3 AM.

Marathon what u may have asked?

Well, we marathon “dou qin” (translated means pour money a.k.a gamble). Hahaha…this marathon nearly cost my whole wallet, if not for the prompt rescue of my mum.

“Go and sleep, tomorrow you got to wake up to go back”

Well, there goes my time spent on the round table, decorated with color papers, some green, some red, some purple, and even some blue….and a deck of cards, plus numerous hands…

Day 6 – 12/2
Well, the time as come to say BYE BYE. When I was packing up, my “po po” came to me and advised me to study hard and not to let my parents down. I was moved upon hearing her words. It was words of love, care, and comfort. My “po po” had been staying with a maid and my aunt since3 my “yeh yeh” passed away, and I some what feel sad for her. Anyway, we left the place 2 hours before noon, and reached back PJ at around lunch time.


That’s my one week in
Ipoh, and to wrap up this Lunar Year celebration, it was good, and I enjoyed the company of everyone around me. From my po po to my family to my uncles and aunts to my cousins, I appreciate all of them. And also I would like to acknowledged those who sms-ed me to wished me, Thank You, you know who you are. Life s bored without you people….*hugz*


I have an exam coming up on Monday, and another on Thursday, and another one next Monday. Crap man, better get back to study. Ciao people and Gong Xi Fa Cai to all of you again…..