Welcome to Jowen's page

The life, the thoughts, the feelings, the experiences, the challenges, the views, the emotions, and the ways of a young adult named Jowen...

Thursday, September 16, 2004

Multimedia University - Reflection 3

Looks like the holiday has taken it’s toil on me. I’ve been getting lazier and lazier each day, and as such, there’s nothing much to say during the holiday, except for the final part of my “Reflection” Series, which will be splited into 3 parts. With only 3 more days to go before “school” starts, I really can’t wait to be back at Cyberjaya, where Multimedia University stands.

After my SPM examination in the year 2000, I’d been approached by my parent, who obviously wanted the best in tertiary education for me. I at that time was to weak to make any decision regarding studying in college or university., mainly because I felt that I’ve been studying for the past 12 years, including 2 years at kindergarten. It sort of made me feel bored of studying, and wanted a break from studying, at least for now. I went to seek out my first job at Sunway Pyramid, and worked as a cashier in Memory Lane. Ironically, I was the first guy worker there, and also the youngest employee ever been hired by the employee, at only 18 years of age. I was exited upon getting the job, and deep down in my mind, I planned to work there until I get sacked, or my parents forced me to give up the job. I wasn’t really enthusiastic about enrolling in any college, but then before that, while I was still in form 5, I went to a career fair organized by the school, and sign up for enrollment in several colleges around PJ and KL area, namely APIIT, KDU, Informatics College, and also HELP Institute. I wasn’t really sure then where I would be heading in my education path and I leave it up for my parents to decide.

When the day came for me to take my SPM results. I was taken aback at what was put in front of me, a result slip. There before my eyes were results which I never expect to get. The result weren’t too bad, and I got higher results then I’ve expected. After discussing with my parents what would they suggest for me, my mum said she came across an advert in the press about Multimedia University’s May enrolment, and told me to enroll in it. Honestly at that time, I’ve not come across any University with that glamorous name, as the university I’ve came across are UM, USM, UPM….but MMU sounded alien to me then. Wanting to know more, my whole family went to the University’s open day in Cyberjaya, and I was amazed at what I saw. Huge buildings with state-of-the-art facilities, large campus area, beautiful landscape, and much more cool stuffs. Immediately I went over the Information Technology booth, and gathered information. I was told that since I am a SPM graduate, I have to take on one year foundation course in Malacca, and it really made me sad. I wasn’t ready yet to take on the challenge of going to a totally new place to study, and secondly, it’s so far from home. I told my mum after that, that I would concentrate on other colleges around, instead of just hoping for one intake from MMU. My mum agreed, and then I started my job in Sunway

5 months had passed since I started working. Most of my peers had already gotten into their respective institute of higher learning, and I was getting restless. “Will I work here forever?”, “when will my offer letter comes?” this were some of the things which I thought of while working. I wasn’t too sure either what is my next course of action should I not get the college I want. All I did was just to sign up for their intake, without even bother to follow up with the respective institutes.

It wasn’t too long before I received a mail from Multimedia University, which in there stated among others, that I’ve been received into the Alpha(foundation) programme, and I was told to report to MMU Malacca campus the next day. Prior to receiving the offer letter, I was praying hard to get into one of the colleges that I’ve applied, as it was already in mid-May. I was shocked and at the same time, ecstatic upon receiving the excellent news, that I couldn’t sleep that particular night, thinking all the things that will happen next. I imagine myself in 5 years time, holding up my graduation scroll, and wearing the robe, standing with m parents at my graduation ceremony. It was kind of naive for me to think of such event, given the fact that I haven’t even stepped foot in the university. I haven’t had time to tell my friends that I would be in Malacca all alone studying. I haven’t had time to tell my boss that I am resigning. And I haven’t had time to prepare for the sudden change of event. I would be a university undergraduate starting tomorrow( 16th of May 2001), and I was looking forward to it. Thoughts o campus life, told by my cousins who had studied in a university before, started to flood my mind. How would I cope with all the pressure? Will I be able to find new friends? Will I ever adapt myself to a town called Malacca, where I will be studying for one whole year? These are some of the things that came to mind that night.

After what seemed to be an endless night for me, it was already the next day, where I was expected to report myself to MMU. I packed everything that I can get my hands on, my clothes, toiletries, and every other necessities, and off go to Malacca. Throughout the 2 hours journey, my mum kept reminding me that I should be independent from now on, and all those advices, which made me touched and moved. My dad also advised me to be a good boy, and to study hard for the sake of my future. When I reached MMU Malacca, the place was not as what I expected. It wasn’t as big as the one I saw in Cyberjaya, and may be my perception of a university is different from what I saw. Upon setting foot in the formerly known Universiti Telekoin, I proceeded to the administration office, where I settled all the necessary documents, in the meantime, my family walked around the campus while waiting for me to finish. We had lunch soon after, and my mum and dad repeated all the words of advice for me. I wasn’t too sure about what is happening currently, as my mind was still back in my comfy home, with air-cond, nice home cook food, my cozy bed, and to think that now I am a stranger here in Multimedia University in Malacca, it’s really a new beginning for me.

My accommodation through out the days I lived in Malacca is an apartment opposite the university, named Emerald Park. My first impression of the place was to say out this phrase, ” No place more comfortable to stay then my own home” but then compare the place to hostel, this is much bigger and convenient, except for the fact that it’s more expensive compare to hostel. My family and I went and check out the unit, and I got to stay with 2 roommates,. There were 12 of us staying in 4 rooms, and I made friends with them that day. All of them were from different states around the country, and were friendly people.

Evening approaches, and soon my family had to go back. I bade them farewell, and there I was, all alone by myself in this land called Malacca, and I feel un-comfortable on my bed that night. The mattress was worn off, and there wasn’t much entertainment, whereas at home, I could just call my fiends out for drink. Loneliness sets in during the entire week I was there, and homesickness overtook me. I was feeling all alone, and can’t wait for the week to be over, so that I could go back home even for one night, I am satisfied

Well, this is just an introduction of my reflection on MMU. Stay tuned for more…..