Welcome to Jowen's page

The life, the thoughts, the feelings, the experiences, the challenges, the views, the emotions, and the ways of a young adult named Jowen...

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

My days as CG Leader - Reflection 1

Well, the 2nd semester is about to begin, with another one and a half more weeks to go. It signifies another milestone in my university life. I have gone through many ups and downs in the past, and now if I were to look back and analyze what I have achieved, I can say it had thought me tremendously on how to be a more matured person, and to tackle more challenges ahead.

Throughout the past semester, it had been a roller-coaster ride for me, with lots of experience gained and I had gone through lots of thick and thin alone and together with friends. Things had changed, and will never be the same again. Love, hatred, anger, lust, jealousy are just some of the emotions portrayed in me for the past semester

To start of with some of the things that happened in the past 3 months, I have been chosen to lead a Cell Group in University, and it was some what challenging. Looking at how the group was when it first started as Protoplasma CG, it splitted into two CG’s for the number was too large (we had 30+ members in there.) Then OHANA CG and D.U.H CG was formed. My former CG was Ohana, and well, the name was taken from the Disney animated movie, Finding Nemo, which means Family. That’s how CG should be, as a family, and no one gets left behind. I had great fun being in the C, where we laughed, we shared, we enjoyed, and most of all, we learned from each other without feeling left out or neglected. Of course, all good things must come to and end, for the 2 CG’s spitted again at the end of the 3rd semester last year, and then came SEED and THIRST from the parent OHANA, and CHUP and BLUR from the parent DUH. It was an emotional moment when our leaders then, WeeLiem announced the news of spitting. There were some members who can’t take the somewhat shocking news, and commented at their own will. But according to WeeLiem, he as a leader found it sad himself to split the CG, for we are so closely bonded with one another, and he reminded us from the Bible, that unless a seed kernel fall to the ground and die, it has no use at all. So was it with a CG. If we just cling on with our own people, and not willing to expand, we are of no use. We should adhere to the call that is to follow the Great Commandment of Christ, which is to make disciples of all nations. The 2 CG’s were splitted in the end, with me being given the responsibility to be in charge of SEED CG.

SEED, as funny it may sound for a CG name, actually means Seeing Everyday Experience Differently. What a glamorous name as you may say, but then that’s actually what I’d been planning for CG. I wished to see all members, irregardless of their year, faculty, and age difference, to see each day’s as a whole new experience. And as a CG, I don’t want members to come in, filling like they had been to CG last week, or before. The task of being a CG leader was not easy as I’ve mentioned, for I need to think of new ways to make my members feel belonged, and at the same time, share God’s word with them in a group. Acting, Bible study, games are just some of the activities being done during the first semester, and it some what encourages people to come. Before this I was afraid that I couldn’t take the lead. I feel that I am too weak and not ready for it. But WeeLiem encouraged me and so did the CG. And now at my side I have 12 members, with 4 people being new, the rest was from Ohana. I had Kenneth being my assistant, and speaking of him, I can say that I am truly blessed with this wonderful brother. He had shown his qualities of being a good leader himself, and I can work closely with him. Things have changed since I took on this challenge. My spiritual life wasn’t the same like before. My grades were more eye-pleasing then before, and I’ve learn and I am still learning, on how to manage people, and to be a good leader. I have once heard from a friend, that he aspired to be a people’s person, which means understanding and knowing what people wants. I guessed that applies to me now, since the day I told myself, I want to be a good leader, and at the same time, be a faithful servant. A pastor once said that we are not just to be servants, we should be leading servants, and that touches me, and make me all the more wanting to lead and serve at the same time. I thank God for the privilege to be a CG leader, and WeeLiem, who trusted me, and the CG, who had encouraged me and supported me thus far.

More to be revealed in my next post, stay tuned…J