Welcome to Jowen's page

The life, the thoughts, the feelings, the experiences, the challenges, the views, the emotions, and the ways of a young adult named Jowen...

Saturday, September 18, 2004

Multimedia Unversity - Reflection 3 point 1

Continuation from last post……Alpha

So here I was, away from home, away from PJ, away from all the comfort that I once have, and started my first year in Multimedia University, Malacca. I stayed in Emerald Park, an apartment situated right opposite the campus. It’s a place of accommodation build specially for MMU students, and we are provided with the basic necessities, such as electricity, water, phone line, although the phone can only be used for inter-unit communication, and not to mention, free internet service connection, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The internet speed,, I must comment, is relatively slower then dial up access, even though during weekends. I understand that they have servers in each block, but it can’t satisfies all the residents needs. At least there’s something compare to nothing, isn’t it?

The first day of class is really meaningful to me. I got a shock as I stepped foot into the lecture room. My timetable given me shows that I am supposed to have English in the morning, but then why is it I am attending another class? The lecturer was teaching mathematics for crying out loud. I was about to shout out to the lecturer that she’s teaching the wrong subject, when I glanced at the entrance of the room, B2021. I looked back at my timetable, it stated there “English 1 , 9AM, B3021. Mien, I was in the wrong class, and on the first day of school, and I was about to raised my voice to the lecturer! Then I excused myself from the class and apologize to the lecturer. It was already 10 minutes passed 9, and I was thinking to myself. Well, I haven’t had that experience before even when I was in Standard 1.. and I confused myself with the room numbers. Apparently, the ground floor is floor 1, so my class is supposed to be at the 3rd floor, not the 2nd floor. Oh, I couldn’t help but blushed and hurriedly exit the class. It wasn’t entirely my fault, as I missed the orientation week for freshies, conducted one week before. I got the offer letter just before school starts, how can it be? Oh well, I then told myself, better remember that mistake, and not make it again. I rushed over to my actual class, and of course, I was late, and the lecturer was already halfway through with the class. I was in group 36, for we, Alpha students were split into groups according to our respective programme. I was in Alpha Information Technology, and the first day of class made me wiser then before. I had a superb lecturer, whose name is Miss Lim. She’s married, but she preferred her student calling her miss, so as to make her look young, so to speak. She teach English with humor and style, which made the class laughed and it was really enjouyable being taught by her. I have not been taught by a teacher as good as her, and I respect her. Co-incidentally, she is the coordinator of the English department for foundation studies, and also she is in-charged of our group. We were so fortunate to have her, as studies wouldn’t be the same again.

Then came my next class, which is Mathematics, and I stared to mix around with my classmates. All were from different parts of The country, and this is the first time I am mixing with them. They were really nice people, which made me felt at home. we talked, and we shared about our experiences here, and as I haven’t got the chance to go Through the orientation, I asked them about it. They said I was lucky to have missed it, for I wouldn’t want to experience the food being served. Hehehe…… I still; remembered clearly that day, when I went to explore the whole campus till late at night. The campus in Malacca isn’t that big, but It thrills me to find out that its completely different from secondary/primary school. One thing I noticed is that during my campus tour, I was brought around by my newly met friends, and we climb up to the roof of the building. In case anyone don’t know what roof I am referring too, it’s the place where the water tanks are. Heheheh…..we went up there, and behold, I could see the night line of Malacca’s Bukit Beruang, and other adjacent gardens around. It was superb, and I couldn’t foret that night.( I wondered if I can go up to the roof again in MMU Cyberjaya, without being caught) it was indeed a beautiful scenery, and quiet surroundings. It made me forget where I was at that moment, as I stood there, admiring and enjoying the moment.:)

So far, the foundation year in Malacca had given me a sense of belonging to a place unknown to me initially. I started to like the place after a few months, with food available anytime within reach, beautiful environment to study, and wonderful friends who will be there for me. I’ve learned a lot of things, where it isn’t mentioned in books. I’ve learn how to be independent, as I have to do anything myself. At home, everything is done for me, whether its eating, or drinking, or cleaning up my bed. Now it’s like if-you-don’t-do-it, no-one-is-doing-it-for-you kind of things. I’ve learned discipline, for I have to sleep on-time, wake up on time, pass up assignments on time. I mean all these things are learned during my Alpha year, and it helped me a lot as time goes by. Through out my Alpha year also, I’ve made a lot of new friends, and this is what I really wants. In the beginning I thought university is just a place to get a degree, or even a master for that matter, but to me it’s more then that. It is through my Alpha years that had given me this foundation to excel in my social life, and it’s a year which I cherished the most in my studies life all this while. I have had my fair share of mistakes done during the year, I have had to go through uncertainties at time, I have had to go through a period of mourning, I have had to go through painful experiences with friends and I have had to go through life struggles as everyone did during that time. But then I have no regrets over those things that happened, for it trained me and have made me a stronger person mentally and emotionally. Throughout my days in my Alpha year, there had been a couple of misunderstanding between me and a friend. Thins does not look good at that time, and our friendship even come to a point where I have to call it off. Things were bad and that was when I learned to turn to friends for support. Before I came to university, it is my parents who will be there for me, and I have had no problem with any friends back in secondary school. It is my first time confiding in a friend, and this all took place during my time in Alpha. It was indeed a memorable year for me, with life throwing it challenges at me, and expects me to go through it with confidence, and hope. It had certainly taught me numerous lessons which I will never forget till this day, and I really am thankful that I got to lived and studied in Malacca for one year, as this is the year I once feared and disliked the most. But now when I think back at what happened, if I have not gone through that year, I wouldn’t be the same Jowen that I am now.

Then came the time where we have to decide where to go during our second year in MMU. I had the choice whether to remained studying in MMU Malacca, or to return to the place where I considered “schooling heaven”, where its just 30 minutes from home, and called The Intelligent City by the then Prime Minister, Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, Cyberjaya. It doesn’t matter to me where I chosed then, because my major of Software Engineering is being offered in both campuses. I had sleepless night thinking about this transfer thingy, and I consulted my lecturer and parents. They all sort of gave me the same advice, which is to think of where is best for me. My parents definitely suggested that I continue my studies in Cyberjaya, as it is near to home, and to have a change in environment, just like when I got here the first time. I wrestled with my thoughts day and night, as I have friends who are staying back in Malacca as well as shifting to Cyberjaya. I have friends from Malacca who wanted to shift to Cyberjaya as well, hmmmm, it was really a time of headache for me, with all sort of suggestion floods through my head, I didn’t made my decision even when the time came for us to submit our preference of studies. I hesitantly put down Cyberjaya as my choice, and pass it up. I have an affection for Malacca now, after one year, and its hard for me to leave and start a new life somewhere. I’ve just gotten used to the place, the people, the environment, the lecturer in Malacca, and to say bye bye is a sad thing. My friends offered to swap places with me, meaning that he will take my place in Cyberjaya, and I take his place here, upon seeing me in confusion and misery. But still, I have to stand by my own decision, and didn’t take up his offer. I chose Cyberjaya, and I will study in Cyberjaya.

Oh well, transition period can be real hard to adapt, and the outcome is up to us to analyze and evaluate. I have gone into a second level in my studies, and it will be penned down in my last and final post in my reflection series. Stay tuned